Happy Family from Canada

Canadian Citizens Can Establish Permanent U.S. Residency With the EB-5 Visa

Canada holds a special place in my heart. My father was born in Canada, and my wife and three children are Canadian citizens. As Americans, we enjoy close ties with our neighbor to the north, enjoying the opportunity to travel internationally using only a car, boat, or bridge. But for Canadian citizens looking to live and work in the U.S., bringing your family to America can be a tricky process—especially if your end goal includes permanent residency for the whole family.

The EB-5 Investment Visa Helps Canadian Families Come to the U.S.

One of the simplest and most rewarding ways to obtain permanent resident green cards for your whole family is to make a business investment in an American enterprise with the EB-5 visa. This immigration option requires a $1.05 million investment in a U.S.-based business, or a $800,000 investment in a region with high unemployment. As your business investment thrives and improves the local economy, you and your family will be able to remove the conditions of your visa and transition to a permanent green card.

Although you may only wish to move a few hundred miles from home, there are still strict regulations on families moving from Canada to the United States. Many parents encourage their children to attend school in the U.S. due to the nation’s exemplary educational institutions. However, these visas only allow temporary access, meaning that if your children attend universities in the U.S., they will be forced to return to Canada when their student visas expire. On the other hand, students with EB-5 visas retain their green card access, allowing them to live and work anywhere in the U.S. after they graduate.

If you would like to learn more about the benefits of this investment visa, please order our free book, Complete Guide to The EB-5 Green Card. If you are ready to get started on your EB-5 visa petition, complete the contact form today for a personalized assessment of your situation.

Fill Out the Form Below

We'll Call You Back You ASAP
Vaughan de Kirby
Connect with me
San Francisco California EB-5 Investment Immigration Attorney

Is EB-5 right for me?

Start Where do I turn?

If a United States Green Card is your goal for yourself and your family, you probably have many questions.

The following slides will help explain the steps and requirements Involved in the EB-5 investment immigration process.

Step 1 Learn about EB-5 and make a decision to hire an Investment Immigration Attorney

Free Consultation either in person or by phone with our attorney to discuss your immigration goals.

To prepare for this consultation with our attorney, be ready to explain the ideal immigration result for you and your family. This will help our attorney determine if EB-5 would be your best choice.

If EB-5 is the right choice for you and your family, retain Jatoi & de Kirby, A.P.C. and begin working with our expert team to identify the documentation needed to complete your EB-5 application.

Step 2 Make your selection of the Regional Center for your investment

This is an important decision as it impacts both your investment and your family’s immigration success. Because this decision is so important, you will want to have a professional perform a due diligence evaluation of any potential investment. Our attorney has had extensive experience in this area and can discuss the alternative due diligence options:

Use a due diligence company:
There are several companies offering different levels of due diligence.
Use an Investment Advisor:
There are Investment Advisors that do offer some level of due diligence on project selection.
Use a Registered Broker Dealer and Member of FINRA:
Your Broker Dealer can provide you with several alternative investments that you can consider for your EB-5 investment.
Step 3 Make your investment and file your I-526 application

You will have worked closely with our attorney and his team to compile all the necessary documentation to support your EB-5 application.

This will include all the required documentation to show the lawful source of your investment funds, as well as all the supporting documentation from the USCIS-approved Regional Center you selected for your qualifying investment.
You will have wired to the Regional Center your investment funds, as well as the Regional Center administration fee.
With the investment in place, your expertly completed EB-5 (I-526) application, along with all supporting documentation, will be filed with the United States Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS).
Step 4 My EB-5 application is approved by USCIS

If you are currently living in the United States, our attorney will file I-485 application to register you as a Permanent Resident. If you file your I-485 in the United States, you will generally receive your Permanent Resident Green Card in the mail. However, it is possible that you may be required to visit your local USCIS office for an interview.

If you are located in your home country, our attorney will file a DS-260 application for an Immigrant Visa. You will then have an interview with a Consular Officer and be granted an Immigrant Visa. Your Immigrant Visa will be valid for six months. When you arrive in the United States, you will begin your your status as a Permanent Resident Green Card Holder.

Wherever you are located, you will then receive what is termed a "Conditional Green Card".

Step 5 Remove conditions and receive a Permanent Green Card

After you have held your Green Card for 21 months, our attorney and his team will begin the I-829 process to remove the conditions on your Green Card.

To remove the conditions, you must show that your funds have remained invested and that the investment has created the requisite ten jobs.

A successful I-829 application gives you what is called a Permanent Green Card, which can be freely renewed every 10 years.

Step 6 Become a Naturalized United States Citizen

If your immigration goal is to become a United States Citizen, after 5 years as a Green Card holder you will qualify to file a Naturalization application.

The time is calculated from when you first received your Green Card, including the period when you held your Conditional Green Card.

United States Citizenship may not be your goal, and there is no requirement that you apply for naturalization. You can hold your Green Card indefinitely, requiring only that you renew it every ten years.

Free Books

Green Cards, Visas, and Permanent Residency Options for Latin American Families

Green Cards, Visas, and Permanent Residency Options for Latin American Families

Latino families can become permanent residents in the U.S. with the help of a CA immigration lawyer. Click here to learn about the benefits of EB-5 visas.

Learn More +
The Quickest Path to a Green Card and U.S. Educational Opportunities for European Investors May Be EB-5

The Quickest Path to a Green Card and U.S. Educational Opportunities for European Investors May Be EB-5

Europeans who make a significant investment in a business enterprise in the U.S. can earn green cards and access to American universities through EB-5.

Learn More +
View All Offers

Fill Out the Form Below

We'll Call You Back You ASAP