EB-5 Investors Will Need a Medical Examination for Permanent Residence

After filing several forms and providing endless documents to USCIS, you are ready to file for permanent residence for your EB-5 visa. While this requires an official adjustment of status, it also requires more than just the filing of a form; applicants will have to submit to a medical examination by a designated civil surgeon.

Any person who wishes to receive a green card must prove that he or she does not pose a public health concern to the U.S. After you receive your health exam, you must send Form I-693 containing the results of the medical examination to USCIS.

A few things applicants should know about the required medical examination:

  • Physician. The examination must be performed by a civil surgeon designated by USCIS. No family doctor or other physician may complete the form.
  • Forms. To ensure that your application is not delayed, make sure that you are using the most recent version of Form I-693. Outdated forms will be rejected by USCIS, requiring a second exam by a civil surgeon.
  • Cost. While USCIS does not charge a filing fee for the medical examination form, the civil surgeon may charge you for administering the exam.
  • Confidentiality. When your exam is over, the civil surgeon should give you your completed Form I-693 in a sealed envelope for submission to USCIS. As USCIS will reject the form if it is not in a sealed envelope, it is your responsibility to insist that the report be sealed.
  • Time. It is important that you submit the results of your examination to USCIS as soon as possible, since the results of the medical exam are generally only valid for 2 years and you are required to submit the sealed envelope to USCIS within 60 days of it being signed by the civil surgeon.

If you are having trouble with the many forms and deadlines associated with getting a green card, our California based immigration attorneys can help. At Jatoi & de Kirby, A.P.C., we can answer all of your legal questions before you apply for permanent residence. Contacts us for more information.

Vaughan de Kirby
Connect with me
San Francisco California EB-5 Investment Immigration Attorney