While California technology companies continue to lobby for an increase in foreign worker visas, many companies worldwide are filling their ranks with high-skilled foreign employees.
A recent list compiled by MyVisaJobs.com has ranked the top 10 importers of knowledge workers using data from the U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Census Bureau. Using figures from 2012, the website includes top employers with the largest number of applications filed for H-1B visas and the average yearly salary paid to accepted foreign workers.
According to these rankings, the Top Ten companies hiring foreign STEM workers include:
- Infosys. Based in Bangalore, Infosys (also called Infy) sponsored nearly double the number of foreign skilled workers as its next competitor. The company specializes in business consulting, information technology, and software engineering, and brought in around 15,800 workers on H-1B visas last year, paying salaries around $75,062.
- Wipro. Also from Bangalore, Wipro hired 7,178 workers last year alone to join their information technology firms in the U.S., paying them an average salary of $76,920.
- Tata Consultancy. Mumbai-based Tata Consultancy Services sponsored 6,732 foreign workers and paid them approximately $64,350 per year.
- IBM. IBM paid its foreign workers $82,630 on average, hiring 6,190 high-skilled immigrants last year.
- Deloitte Consulting. Deloitte paid its 4,735 foreign workers an average of $98,305.
- Microsoft. This technology giant hired 4,067 workers on temporary H-1Bs last year, paying each an average salary of $109,566.
- L&T Infotech. Another Bangalore employer, L&T hired 3,253 workers and paid them nearly $60,000.
- Accenture. Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, Accenture sponsored 2,653 foreign workers and paid each $72,704 on average.
- Ernst & Young. This accounting and professional services firm sponsored 2,316 H-1B workers in 2012, paying an average of $86,428.
- Mahindra Satyam. Mahindra sponsored 2,310 foreign workers for IT services in 2012, paying each an average salary of $70,495.