I am on an H-1B visa and I have been laid off from my job. How much time do I have to find a new job and what are my options?

If you have been laid off or otherwise terminated from your employment in California, or elsewhere throughout the United States, and you are in the country under an H-1B visa, there is a 60-day grace period for you to either find a new employer willing to sponsor your H-1B or change your status to another visa.  

Our H-1B immigration lawyers will speak with you about your options, which may include:

  • Finding a new employer before your I-94 expires, or your petition is revoked and processed by the United States Citizen and Immigration Service (USCIS).
  • Filing for a change in visa status, including changing to a B-1 or B-2 visa, until you find a new job.