Applying for a P-3 Visa? Your Form I-129 Must Include These Additional Items

Many visitors to the U.S. are not seeking long-term residency, but wish to come to the country to take part in a specific cultural or artistic performance. In these cases, teachers, coaches, or performers may apply for a P-3 visa, which allows residence for up to one year for those who are employed or participating in an ethnic, musical, theatrical, or traditional presentation.

To apply for this visa, a performer’s employer must submit Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. In order to prove the validity of the cultural event, all visitors must include the following documents along with the application:

  • A copy of the contract between the employer or organizer and the foreign performer, outlining the terms of the agreement between the organizer and performer
  • A detailed description of the event, including dates, travel locations, and personnel
  • Expert testimonials from recognized third-parties that confirm the authenticity of your organization’s skills, including the credentials of the expert himself, outlining the basis of his knowledge of your or your group’s cultural significance
  • Documentation attesting that your performance is culturally unique, including newspaper reviews, journal articles, interviews, or other published materials
  • Evidence supporting that all of the performances during your stay will be culturally unique events
  • A complete itinerary, listing the dates and locations of all events in the performance schedule (if the events will take place in multiple venues)
  • Written approval from the appropriate labor organization governing the performance
Vaughan de Kirby
Connect with me
San Francisco California EB-5 Investment Immigration Attorney