The L-2 Visa For Your Spouse & Children: What You Need To Know

After you have met all of the requirements for your L-1 visa, filled out all of the necessary forms, and successfully established your relationship to your employer, you have one more task to take care of: getting your spouse and children clearance to come with you to live in the United States.

Like many other non-immigration work visas, your husband or wife along with any children under the age of 21 is welcomed to apply for a dependent visa and travel with you to America. In this case, your family will need to complete the L-2 visa process.

What do you need to know about the L-2 visa?

•    Who is eligible? The spouse of the L-1 visa holder and any minor, unmarried children under the age of 21 may apply for a dependent L-2 visa.
•    Can you study? Both the spouse and the children of an L-1 visa holder are allowed to study at schools and universities in the United States during their stay. You may attend school either full time or part time and you do not have to apply for any kind of student visa in addition to your L-2 visa.
•    Can you travel? As long as your L-2 visa status is valid and up-to-date, you may travel freely around the country, in and out of America, and back and forth from your country of origin.
•    Can you work? While the children of L-1 visa holders are not permitted to work in the United States, spouses with L-2 visas may seek employment if they acquire an Employment Authorization Document from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). An EAD holder receives a valid Social Security number and can apply for any job in the area, either full time or part time.
•    How long are L-2 visas valid? The L-2 visa for dependents is valid for as long as the L-1 visa of your spouse or parent is valid. That is, the dependents of a L-1A visa holder have a valid visa for up to seven years, while the dependents of a L-1B visa holder have a valid visa for up to five years.

Vaughan de Kirby
Connect with me
San Francisco California EB-5 Investment Immigration Attorney