O-3 Dependent Visa For Spouses & Children: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If you are applying for an O-1 visa for extraordinary ability, you are probably wondering whether your family can travel with you to the United States and what opportunities they will have to work and study on American soil. Let’s answer some of the most common questions about the O-3 visa for dependents:

Can my family come with me to the United States? Yes. Your husband or wife as well as your unmarried children under the age of 18 may apply for an O-3 visa when you are applying for your O-1 visa.

How long can my family stay in the U.S. on an O-3 visa? Your family can stay in the United States for as long as your O-1 visa is valid – they can also travel to and from your country of origin during your O-1 visa stay. For example, they could fly to the U.S. to meet you a few months after you leave or leave the United States early.

Can my family work in the United States? Spouses and children who are in the United States on an O-3 dependent visa cannot work without first obtaining a separate work visa. Some O-3 visa holders find that they can look for a employer sponsor while in the United States and apply for a work visa at that point.

Can my family study in the United States? Yes, both your spouse and your children are permitted to apply for school and attend school while living in America – and many take advantage of this opportunity, whether it is to take a few classes, improve their English, or finish primary school.

Can my family travel as O-3 visa holders? Yes, your family can take short trips outside of the country and re-enter as long as they hold valid paperwork. They may also travel freely around the United States with the O-3 visa.

Vaughan de Kirby
Connect with me
San Francisco California EB-5 Investment Immigration Attorney