Employment with an International Organization during F-1 Visa Status

This month we have taken a closer look at the employment opportunities available for international students attending school in the United States with an F-1 visa. We have already discussed on-campus employment, Optional Practical Training (OPT), and Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Now we will discuss the final employment option from full-time foreign students with F-1 visa status: employment with an international organization.

Here are a few quick facts and requirements for employment with an international organization for F-1 visa students:

  • The student must have F-1 student visa status.
  • The student must get official approval from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). 
  • The student must have completed one year of study and be in good academic standing. 
  • The student must have a standing job offer with an international organization. 
  • The job must be within the student's major field of study. 
  • The job does not have to be required for graduation. 
  • There is not a time limit regarding how long you can hold this job, and the job does not affect your participation in OPT or CPT work.

What are some examples of recognized international organizations, according to the State Department?

  • Red Cross
  • African Development Bank
  • Asian Development Bank
  • World Health Organization
  • World Trade Organization
  • United Nations
  • International Food Policy Research Institute
  • Food & Agriculture Organization
  • International Labor Organization
  • International Finance Corporation
  • Customs Corporation Council
  • Universal Postal Union
  • World Tourism Organization
  • International Monetary Fund
Vaughan de Kirby
Connect with me
San Francisco California EB-5 Investment Immigration Attorney