E-2 Visa for Spouses & Children: What Your Family Needs to Know

An E-2 visa for treaty investors can be an excellent opportunity for entrepreneurs and other business people who wish to live and work in the United States while seeking success and helping the U.S. economy. E-2 visas are also available for the spouse and younger children of investors – dependent visas that allow your family a number of opportunities to study and work while overseas.

Who is eligible for an E-2 visa for dependents?

The husband or wife of an E-2 visa holder may apply for an E-2 visa for dependents, as can the unmarried children of an E-2 visa holder as long as they are under the age of 21. Parents, grandchildren, adult children, and other family members cannot apply.

Can I work if I hold an E-2 visa for dependents?

Spouses of E-2 visa holders may apply for an Employment Authorization Card through United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once they have their card, which takes two to three months to process, they can work freely in the U.S., either for their spouse’s company or for any other business. They may work either full or part time. Children of E visa holders are not able to work.

Can I study or attend school if I hold an E-2 visa for dependents?

Yes, the dependents of E-2 visa holders can study freely in the United States without seeking further approval. Children may attend public or private school, while spouses may attend any level of schooling. Children must apply for an F-1 student visa if they wish to continue studying after the age of 21.


Can I travel if I hold an E-2 visa for dependents?

Yes, both the spouse and children of an E-2 visa holder may freely travel in the United States and take trips outside of the country – as long as their visa status remains valid.


Vaughan de Kirby
Connect with me
San Francisco California EB-5 Investment Immigration Attorney