What Is a P-4 Visa?

P-4 visa is the type of visa that the spouse and dependent children of a P-1, P-2, or P-3 visa holder applies for in order to accompany a family member to the United States legally.

Here are some more quick facts about the P-4 visa:


  • To be approved for a P-4 visa, you must prove your relationship with the holder of the P-1, P-2, or P-3 visa. 
  • Those with P-4 visa status may study in the United States either full-time or part-time without acquiring an F-1 student visa. 
  • Those with P-4 visa status may not work at all during their stay in the United States unless they receive separate approval to do so, such as through a work visa. 
  • P-4 visa holders can study in the country for as long as their family member's visa is valid.
  • To apply for a P-4 visa, you must have a valid passport, evidence of your relationship to the P visa holder, and a copy of your family member's Notice of Action Form I-797.
Vaughan de Kirby
Connect with me
San Francisco California EB-5 Investment Immigration Attorney