How can I show proof of an affiliate business relationship for purposes of an L-1 visa?

The L-1 visa is important to companies conducting business outside of the United States, as it allows the foreign entity to open a United States subsidiary and transfer managers and executives to operate the U.S. business. Employees of the foreign corporation can obtain an L-1 visa if the corporation has a related branch, subsidiary, affiliate or joint venture partners. 

Contact our firm for assistance if you are looking to show proof of an affiliate business relationship, as this is complicated. There is no direct relationship between the foreign corporation and the affiliate. Instead, both are controlled by a third party, which may include another company, group of companies, an individual or a group of people. 

If you are looking to apply for an L-visa , our attorneys can assist you in showing proof of an affiliate business relationship if:

  • An individual or business entity owns at least 50% of the U.S. company and 50% of the non-U.S. company; or
  • There is more than one single entity, each owner of the non-U.S. company owns the U.S. company in the same percentages.

For additional information about the L-1 visa, order our free book The Business Owner’s Guide To: United States Residency via the L-1 Visa.