Understanding the O-3 Visa For Dependents

The O-1 visa is a wonderful opportunity for those with special talents and extraordinary abilities to live and work in the United States while sharing their special skills on America soil. However, many O-1 visa applicants are concerned about whether their immediate family can travel with them and what privileges and limitations they will have while staying in the United States.

Here is a quick rundown of facts about the O-3 visa for dependents:

•    The O-3 visa is for the spouse and minor, unmarried children of O-1 visa holders.
•    O-3 visa holders may not work in the United States unless they have first secured a work visa.
•    O-3 visa holders are free to study in the United States.
•    O-3 visa holders may take short trips outside of the country and then reenter.
•    O-3 visa holders may travel freely around the country during their stay.
•    The O-3 visa is valid for as long as the corresponding O-1 visa is valid.
•    O-3 visa applicants can apply at the same time as the principal O-1 visa applicant.
•    To apply for the O-3 visa, applicants need a valid passport, a Form DS-160 non-immigrant visa application, and a Form I-797 Notice of Approval.

When considering your options for living and working the United States, it is also important to consider the needs and wants of your immediate family members. 

Vaughan de Kirby
Connect with me
San Francisco California EB-5 Investment Immigration Attorney
Comments are closed.